Job Title: Clerk and Responsible Financial Officer.
Vacancy from: Immediate start
Hours: 8 to 14 hours per week negotiable.
Salary: Up to to £26,446 per annum pro-rata depending on qualifications and experience
Overview: Boldre Parish Council has a vacancy for a Parish Clerk. This is a permanent post for 8 to 14 hours per week negotiable, primarily working from home. Training will be available and there will be a knowledge transfer from the current Clerk.
Boldre is a large parish in the New Forest National Park. It comprises a number of distinct settlements, the largest being the villages of Boldre itself and Pilley. The Parish Council owns a recreation ground which is open to the public with a sports pavilion that can be hired. The ground is regularly used by Lymington Sprites Football team. The Parish Council has 10 councillors and a part time Groundsman all of whom work hard to make the village a welcoming place to live.
Working Arrangement: Reporting to the Council Chair you will be primarily based at home for a total of between 8 to 14 hours per week which will include a requirement to work on some evenings. Laptop and mobile phone will be provided along with a contribution to home office expenses. There will be a requirement to visit the Parish regularly for meetings, inspections and other liaison activities. Core working hours and days to be agreed with the post holder, reporting directly to the Council Chair.
Main purpose of the Job: To act as the Council’s Proper Officer and to act as the Councils Responsible Financial Officer. As the Proper Officer of the Council, the Parish Clerk is under a statutory duty to carry out the instructions of the Council and to serve or issue all the notifications required by law.
The Parish Clerk will advise the Council on, and assist in, the formation of overall policies to be followed in respect of the Council’s activities and, in particular, to produce all the information required for making effective decisions and to implement constructively all decisions. The person appointed will be responsible for the management of the Groundsman. The Parish Clerk is accountable to the Council for the effective management of all its resources and will report to them as and when required.
Detailed Role & Responsibilities:
The role will include the following activities:
- Overall administration of the Parish Council’s business – preparation of papers for Council Meetings, taking and production of accurate minutes, dealing with correspondence, monitoring Council’s policies and advising Councillors regarding legal and good practice requirements Guiding and advising the Council in its statutory role as a local authority.
- Updating policies and procedures in line with current legislation and following advice from advisory bodies to the sector.
- Setting meeting agendas and taking minutes for the Council.
- Maintenance of accurate and up-to-date financial records of the Parish Council– placing orders, preparing invoices for payment, receiving and banking income and liaising with Internal and External Auditors and processing employees payroll
- Maintenance of Risk Management processes and adequate Insurance Cover
- Responsible for ensuring that the instructions of the Council in connection with its function as a Local Authority are carried out.
- Implementation of the Council’s resolutions from monthly full council meetings.
- Be under a statutory duty to carry out all of the functions, and in particular to serve or issue all the notifications required by law of a local authority's Proper Officer.
- Update the Council’s website
- Dealing with correspondence by e-mail and post.
- Advise the Council on, and assist in the formation of, overall policies to be followed in respect of the Council’s activities and in particular to produce all the information required for making effective decisions and to implement constructively all decisions.
- Accountable to the Council for the effective management of its part time groundsman and resources and will report to it as and when required.
Requirements: This role will suit any candidate with strong organisational and administration skills. The ideal candidate will be resourceful and able to self-manage their time effectively. The candidate will have basic bookkeeping and financial knowledge, and be IT literate with experience of Microsoft Office and remote meetings.
Application: To apply for this role, please submit your CV via email to